NB church fire ruled as electrical malfunction

NB church fire ruled as electrical malfunction

NORTH BEND, Ore.-- North Bend Fire Chief Scott Graham tells KCBY that the cause of Tuesday's church fire is the result of an electrical fire.

Smoke and flames poured out of the First United Methodist Church in North Bend late Tuesday morning.

Graham says it is believed an electrical malfuction in the church's main worship center near the altar started the fire that would eventually devour the church from end to end.

Church Pastor Jerry Steele says there is more than 4 feet of water in the basement of the church making many things that did not burn in the fire difficult to salvage.

Steele says it could take at least two years to get the church back on its feet.