Local & Regional
From Pacific Power
Pacific Power crews made progres Monday restoring power to thousands of customers affected by the strong Northwest storm, but the company is advising anyone who remain without power this evening to be prepared for the possibility of going through the night without electricity.
About 8,000 Pacific Power customers remained without power as of approximately 8 p.m., mostly in Clatsop, Lincoln and Coos counties. The total number of Pacific Power customers without power is down from as many as 24,000 at one point today.
Repair work is ongoing but difficult conditions and ongoing rough weather make it all but certain that some customers will wake up Tuesday morning without the benefit of electricity.
Pacific Power appreciates our customers' patience as we work to restore service and ask customers to take steps to stay safe and warm and check on friends, neighbors and those who may need assistance.
Customers should remember to set a battery powered alarm clock if they have one and Pacific Power offers the following additional general safety reminders.
- Always assume any downed line is energized and dangerous. Stay far away.
- Candles should never be left unattended or used for extended periods. Use a flashlight or other battery-powered lighting source. Use a fireplace or wood stove to keep warm. Pay careful attention to fire hazards.
- Never use kerosene or propane heaters inside without proper ventilation. They create dangerous fumes. Also, don't use charcoal in your house or garage.
- Never use a barbecue grill indoors. Cook over sterno cans.
- Don't drive over downed power lines.
- Turn on your porch light switch. After crews complete repairs, they patrol the area to confirm lights are on.
- As much as possible, do not open refrigerators and freezers--they will keep food and perishables inside cold for some time if not opened.
- Generators should be outside or in a well-ventilated unoccupied space
- Make sure generators are properly wired for your home or business, and don't connect a generator directly to your home's main fuse box or circuit panel. This can create a dangerous backfeed hazard for line crews.
For other electrical safety information, visit our safety page or call toll free at 1-800-375-7085.